Backup Power for Medical Center
The system comprises two independent engine control systems and one utility tie breaker synchronizer and load control plus HMI operator panel software for the operator to control the engine generator sets. The upgrade needed to be finished quickly to minimize downtime and risk to the hospital. It had been almost 15 years since GCS last upgraded the control systems so the hardware needed to be modernized for improved reliability.
- Backup power for a medical facility
- Fairbanks Morse
- 2 x 12 cylinder 2.75 MW engines
- Woodward DSLC-2 Digital Synchronizer and Load Control The DSLC-2 combines synchronizer, load sensor, load control, dead bus closing system, VAR, power factor and process control, all in one powerful package.
- Woodward MSLC-2 Digital Synchronizer and Load Control The MSLC-2 is a synchronizer, a utility load sensor, an import/export load level control, a power factor control, and a master process control. DSLC-2 / MSLC-2 combination provides multiple unit, segment, utility, and inter-tie breaker control for complex power systems.
- Woodward 828 Digital Custom Programmable Digital Control The Woodward 828 Digital Control manages and controls reciprocating engines. The custom 828 Digital Control can be programmed to meet specific needs for specialized functions as supervisory controls for sequencing, load shedding, heat recovery management, and system monitoring and alarming. LinkNet Modules 1/0 ports expanded through LinkNet modules: thermocouple, RTD, analog, and discrete type 1/0. HMI Remote Monitoring System 17" color touchscreen, Operator Panel displays all relevant information available from the 828 control, providing the operator with valuable information to monitor and troubleshoot all functions of the control system.
The two engines operate as black start machines and peak shaving. On detection of a dead bus, the utility tie breaker will open, the engines are to start and, after a time, plus interlocks synchronize to the local bus and maintain local load in isochnonous mode. The Utility Tie can be closed by the operators so that the generators can feed the utility in baseload mode.
There are major improvements when upgrading from the old DSLC to the new Woodward DSLC-2, including SCADA compatibility through Modbus, change from the obsolete LON loadsharing to redundant Ethernet, discrete inputs for loadsharing on multiple bus segments plus additional ABS and CSA approvals.
The MSHS Group excercises Copyright over all literature created by the MSHS Group. Reproduction and/or use of the MSHS Group content, images and design is prohibited without written permission from the MSHS Group.